The Work Plan

Monday, April 2, 2012

New On The Shelves

It has been a long time since I added anything new to our shelves, and let me tell you it was a blessing in disquise. The children choices began to grow and so this led to interesting things across our subject areas. They have practiced and mastered and now I can honestly say that this is going to be our normal. They enjoy new works, but they really loved to see those works live on the shelves longer. In fact last time I changed out works one of the children asked me what happened to his favorite work. This time around I asked each child individually what work they still wanted to work with on the shelves so this wouldn't happen again.

Putting together a flashlight.

Pencil sharpening.

Pouring blue water, they never tire of pouring I changed the vessel and added some color.
Dry pouring sand, again I just changed the vessel and the color.
.

Color your own sticker to make a space scene on the provided construction paper.
These are the same as the sticker designs without the sticker backing. What they will do is choose one book that will belong to them, glue on a design on a blank page in the book and then write about it.
Flower arranging. They will use the sand as a vase filler. The vase filler I plan to change out whenever it needs to be, as well as new types of flowers.
Our game of the month. The goal is to get to the moon. They will use the spinner to determine what their next move will be. What I like about this game it involves shapes, counting, and prereading skills. I have made this a two player game. This game came with our Mother Goose Time curriculum.
Shadow matching. There is more that I plan to share that I think deserves a post of it's own as our Space theme unfolds. Come back tomorrow and check out our new Calendar and Focus Boards set up. To see more inspired Montessori activities pop over to Living Montessori Now for Montessori Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Great activities...I love the game and the shadow matching....my daughter will love them, too! Thanks for sharing...and wishing you a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found the same thing. I used to change a lot of the works weekly, now, I change monthly. I find the children have spent a lot more time with each work. Sometimes leaving for a week but then coming back with a lot more attention and concentration. I do add a few new things each week like nomenclature cards that go along with our learning focus.

    Blessings,Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you asked the children which activities they still wanted to work with before changing the activities on your shelves! It's so true that children need lots of repetition. Great new activities, too! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate Your Comments